This Faith Bible Study is about adding to your faith. The walk of faith is an awesome journey, but it is a journey. We begin this journey by hearing, then believing. It is this believing which grows into faith.
At first we are like infants devouring the sincere milk of the word (1 Peter 2:2) and that starts the nurturing process. Then as we grow in grace the food for spiritual growth becomes more challenging. In order for our relationship with God to remain healthy we must add to our faith.
This faith Bible study gives you a pattern to follow in adding to your faith. It is designed so you can use it as a guide a for small group Bible study, or you can use it for a devotional.
Apostle Peter tells us that God has “given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may… escape the corruption of the world caused by evil desires.” He then gives us the formula for releasing the power of these promises into our lives.
This faith Bible study is about walking the faith journey and adding the qualities of character that will keep us from being ineffective and unproductive in our faith.
Primary text for this Faith Bible Study:
2 Peter 1:3-10 - 3)His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4)Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
5)For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6)and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7)and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8)For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9)But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
10)Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11)and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
“For this very reason” – What was the reason?
· He has given us everything we need for life and godliness
· He has given us his very great and precious promises
· So that we may participate in the divine nature
· And escape the corruption in the world
“Make every effort to add to your faith goodness:”
1. The word, “goodness”
· Goodness: in other translations, virtue.
· “Whatever procures pre-eminent estimation for a person or thing; hence, intrinsic eminence, moral goodness, virtue.” – Vines
· Moral excellence
· Connect with Philippians 4:8 – “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.”
· The fact that goodness, or virtue; moral excellence, must be added to our faith indicates that it does not come automatically
· Goodness must be a discipline in our life; something that we pay particular attention to
CLICK HERE to get the complete Add To Your Faith booklet in a pdf file
The booklet includes:
“Add to goodness knowledge:”
What knowledge should we add that will add to our faith?
Some things every believer should know:
What knowledge should we consciously avoid?
· Genesis 2:16-17, Ecclesiastes 1:18, Jeremiah 4:22
Add to your knowledge self-control:”
Requires discipline of our will
We must first be submitted to control of the Spirit of God.
· Romans 12:1-2
“Add to self-control, perseverance:”
The ability to hold on in difficult times
· James 1:3-4, 2 Timothy 2:12, Revelation 3:11, Galatians 6:9
“Add to perseverance, godliness:”
God-likeness · 1 Timothy 4:7-8
True salvation produces God-likeness - Titus 1:1
“Add to godliness, brotherly kindness:”
Romans 12:10, Colossians 3:12
“Add to your brotherly kindness, Love:”
Ephesians 3:17-19, Colossians 3:14
Formula For A Successful Faith Journey:
(v8) – For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of your Lord Jesus Christ. Verse 10 – Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall.
To get the mp3 audio to use with the outline CLICK HERE